Skirmish AI rush

You have a problem with TA3D, it doesn't run or it crashes...
/
Vous avez un problème avec TA3D, il ne se lance pas ou plante...
Nobu

Skirmish AI rush

Post by Nobu » Fri May 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Seems like the AI is really smart... maybe a little too smart.

Every time I've played a skirmish the opposing commander almost immediately starts heading for my base (how does it know where my base is, anyway?), and as soon as it sees my commander it pulls out the big guns. Quite spectacular, but I'd like to play a bit longer before everything goes kaboom. ;-)

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: Skirmish AI rush

Post by zuzuf » Fri May 06, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi,

I guess you've ran the last stable release, the AI has been improved in the 0.6 branch (which is in beta stage, almost RC).
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Nobu

Post by Nobu » Sat May 07, 2011 2:36 am

Yeah, at first. Then I tried 0.6-beta r2918 (unzipped into a separate folder), since I figured it might be different, but the same thing happened.

Hmm.... :/

Edit: it's working really well, by the way. A bit unstable, running in Wine (because fedora doesn't have it packaged and I don't feel like installing all the build deps at the moment), but even with the Nouveau nvidia driver it's running pretty well (which is more than I can say about Spring ;-)) .

Edit2: Ah, moderated. I figured it might be something like that, which is why I only posted here once. :wink:

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat May 07, 2011 9:36 am

There are RPM packages as well: ftp://downloads.ta3d.org/binaries/linux/urpmi/
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Nobu

Post by Nobu » Sat May 07, 2011 12:03 pm

Ah, yeah, thanks. I had tried installing the rpm, but there were a few unsatisfied library deps. I'll try again, since it looks like they are in that repo. Have to do it manually, though, since yum doesn't support urpmi repos, apparently. (edit: it was smpeg that was missing, got it from RPMFusion)

Any idea why the AI is rushing me, though? I think it might be because I set the AI's resources (just energy, actually) low, so it figures it would be more effective to attack me directly...but I don't know anything about AI or LUA, so I can't really check other than by changing settings.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sat May 07, 2011 12:49 pm

AI players take decisions based on a set of weights which changes to reflect AI needs. This represents the will to build metal extractors, power plants, offensive units, ... At some point it checks for enemies which are weak enough (estimating its military power) and attack them with offensive units. If it keeps sending its commander then it's a bug.

Which resource files (HPI, CCX, UFO, GP3...) do you use ?
=>;-D Penguin Powered

Nobu

Post by Nobu » Sat May 07, 2011 3:57 pm

Just the totala[1,2,4].hpi files from the CDs; no patches, no mods. The default AI (set to easy; haven't tried other difficulties, and doesn't matter whether the AI is controlling Arm or Core).

I was thinking, it might be just because the commander is so powerful; does he follow the same rules as other AI units? I could set up ten or twenty laser towers and it still wouldn't be enough to stop him, maybe it sees that as an opportunity to put me out of my misery.... If you can, you should probably exclude the power of the D-Gun from any calculations that would determine strength, unless there is a significant base already built and you feel that the commander going kamikaze is a good idea. :lol:

Then again, if that was all that it was, it would (or should) see that I also have a D-Gun... :?