not suggestion but disscus about UI and control interface

You think of something which could be added to TA3D post here! /
Vous pensez à quelque chose que l'on pourrait ajouter à TA3D, postez ici!
xpoy

not suggestion but disscus about UI and control interface

Post by xpoy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:43 am

well, the UI of TA3D can be change in tag file, so it's eazy to modify.
And for UI, it should be clean/ immediate/ common/ and maybe good looking :)
For ppl's UI feel, I think everyone have a diffrent UI feel, maybe should open a thread to collect ppl's advice and feedback of UI. We can test every advice of UI by eazly modify way.

For control interface, it need a lots TA3D games for had suitable/ useful ideas, and in now, it is the thing whitch need disscus between us.

I give first idea:
when there are fixed angle, and TA-style object(Orthographic Camera):
freecom can't change angle of camera, and it lock screen, when ppl move mouse, zoom screen.
un-freecom can't change angle of camera, and it un-lock screen, but will unable zoom screen, when ppl wheel mouse, the screen along before screen-move orientation. So, when I used this comera, somethings need to move screen to top, and then no need drag mouse anymore, just move mouse to top and keep wheel to up~~~ It will goto top, or wheel to down, it goto down. This is TA control style. /:^]

when there are un-fixed angle, and TA-style object:
freecom will change angle of camera, and it lock screen, when ppl move mouse, do nothing. and the angle change will saved to un-freecom, so in this case ppl must into freecom at first if they want change screen angle.
un-freecom willn't change angle of camera, it unlock screen.
ppl move mouse it work as normaly. ppl wheel mouse it zoom in or zoom out. So this is a supcom style control.

when there are un-fixed angle, and not TA-style object:
the freecom just be a FPS camera, it was really rock me /:^], but give mouse wheel another effect, wheel mouse just zoom in and zoom out, but not change angle of camera.
un-freecom's mouse moving work normaly. wheel mouse work like now, it change angle of camera and zoom.

the fixed-angle, not TA-style object:
maybe work like un-fixed angle+ not TA-style object, but just change the wheel mouse, it shouldn't change angle of camera. in this case, ppl have a un-freecom work like supcom, a freecom work like FTS and able to zoom.

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: not suggestion but disscus about UI and control interface

Post by zuzuf » Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Interesting :)
For control interface, it need a lots TA3D games for had suitable/ useful ideas, and in now, it is the thing whitch need disscus between us.
I bet you'll spend plenty of time playing against the AI with next alpha since I made a few tweaks to AI code :mrgreen:
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm

ohoh, come on, I'm best China TA player /:^]
So AI willn't win me ever they are 9v1.
And what I played most was with the AI write in lua :P
I just be mad due to hard disk sick my work, that 1 mouth work be lost, so what I played games only a usefulness, for advices at now. And maybe I will write my AI idea down, at least the ideas that I can remeber.

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:37 pm

These things are diffrent from OTA, so maybe a new option for used these mothed.

control improve:

1.When ordering a unit, hold on Ctrl then able to drag a rect for order, that order will shift orders all units inside rect.
When ordering a group units, hold on Ctrl's rect is diffrent color, and the units will parting orders to that units inside rect. For example, when selecd 10 cons, then select repair order, and hold on ctrl select 20 units inside rect, then 10 cons will parting the repair program, like per con have 2 repair order.

2. make shift Guard work as partol. That mean Guard 10 units then the guardian will just finshed once order in per guarded in a guard loop. Like, I used ctrl set a cons Guard 5 factorys whict inside the rect, then con will help first factory finshed current build, so once order be done and the con goto help second factory's build.
This is mainly for rect order, Guard is a intelligent order, so rect guard will be intelligent rect order when Guard work as so.

3.when select a group of cons (every unit in group is able to build and same unit type), show the construction menu.
And in this case, when set a single build order, all cons goto help in that build order.
When set a list of build order, set first order to first con, second to second, and analogy.
When the orders less than cons, there are some cons be idle, promptly haven't build order.
When the orders more than cons, when last con get a order, next order send to first con, hereafter second con get next order, analogy.

UI improve:
more things in next post, so deleted text in here.
Last edited by xpoy on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:25 pm

I am already thinking about scrollable menus to allow all kinds of menus to be usable on any screen resolution (it would not be an option since it would be used only when menus are too big and would be necessary in such cases).

1. Group orders could be great, but the mission list model is not easy to use yet, this could only be implemented after this part of the code is rewritten.
2. Idem
3. that would be great indeed :), but we'll see after pathfinding/pathfollowing code is rewritten.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:47 am

UI improve:
1.When player set a regular group, I mean a ctrl+1/2/... group
Show that group in buttom of screen, and show the icon of maximum number units in group. when player press group, popup a list that show icons of unit types in group, special show the number of units in icon of type.
And when ppl press that regular group icon, select that group. when press unit type icon, select special type units in spec group.
Add current selected units as a group in end of screen group icons, so player able press this icon for select special type units in special select condition.
When player push the key "1/2/3..." in keyboard, the screen icon also be effceted. But just hign light, without show up the child icons list.
When push alt+"1/2/3/..." in keyboard, show up the child icons list, and maybe hign light in another color.
When push "0", that will effect last icons in screen, it is the current selected units. Special, when there are a 0 group, always show the current units icons list in screen right/ buttom. And persent need a special keyboard input, push alt+"1/2/3..." will select corresponding icon in 0 group icon list, and "1/2/3..." work as normaly, will selected specail group without show up icons list.
For normaly group's icon list, after child icon list show up, keyboard input be special, in persent, push "1/2/3..." mean selected child icon in popup list. In this case, there are a lot good selected condition beable used.
Like:
Have 100 gators and 100 slasher in screen, so I press ctrl+s, then I see the units list in screen(right and buttom so it don't effect my scoutt), and the slasher icon in buttom, gators in above, so I press alt+"1" for select all slashers, then just send them a move order for leave front-fire.

2.maybe no need, make the every box in battle (like menu/ mimamap) beable to drag for zoom, well, drag for bigger/smaller... Hadn't consider for what, just a idea /:^]

xpoy

Post by xpoy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:32 am

1.Show the current order of units! :P
Maybe "tab" for toggle this, that OTA select a units the press shift then you can see the order, and this is a useful things if play in quickly control.

2.Reminder system:
This surely is good idea /:^]
After send a order, and selected units, press shift+1/2/... for set the reminder. 1/2/... will separate the reminder color.
After set a reminder for a group of units, the group finshed orders list will emerge a Box in screen then automatic move to screen right, at now ppl press z+1/2/.... will drog screen to the group, press corresponding icon in screen right will do same things.
When ppl press shift+1/2/.. will always reset the reminder.
And selected same group and press shift+1/2/... again, will delete the reminder, or just press z+1/2/... to delete the reminder, maybe don't track group when this happen.
This is total good ideas :P!

zuzuf

Post by zuzuf » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:16 pm

This is interesting ... I think it'll be better implemented in Lua with a kind of event system. It would be easier to maintain and integrate and maybe we should convert some control code to Lua.
=>;-D Penguin Powered