failsafe GUI

Everything related to the code /
Tout ce qui touche au code
zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

failsafe GUI

Post by zuzuf » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:46 pm

I am working on implementing a few failsafe modules based on SDL_sgui (the small GUI I developed for SDL).

So far I've replaced the critical message window (which didn't exist on Mac OS and wasn't guarantied to work on Linux) with the built-in message window from SDL_sgui. I've also added a small config tool you can run with the "config/--config" parameter. It's a small window which lets you change the resolution, color depth and a few other parameters without having to edit the ta3d.cfg file.
=>;-D Penguin Powered

milipili

Re: failsafe GUI

Post by milipili » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:13 pm

What will you do if the SDL-sgui could not start ? (could not initialize for example)
Damien Gerard
Ta3d & Yuni Developer

zuzuf
Administrateur - Site Admin

Re: failsafe GUI

Post by zuzuf » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:14 pm

Normally SDL should be able to get a working video mode since we don't ask for a specific color depth or driver so if SDL can't do that you're in trouble because it won't be able to manage the game window.

However if the game crashes and the signal handler can't do anything with SDL_sgui then it's likely to crash because of memory corruption and the only way to make sure it runs in a safe environment is to monitor the game process from another process.
=>;-D Penguin Powered